Sunday, December 23, 2012

a most excellent winter day




The day arrived! Today, December 23rd! We got an egg. I was so ecstatic, I ran around the yard with it (and almost slipped and dropped it). I joyfully shouted. I ran into the house with it and the kids cheered and jumped up and down. It was wonderful. And then I took a ridiculous amount of photos of an egg.




Isn't it lovely? It is pinkish brown and small. Here it is next to a store bought "large" egg:


The eggs will get bigger as they lay more. Want to know which girl left me that lovely present? 



Fluff!  I figured she would be the first to lay, since she is the most physically mature of the hens. I went out to change their frozen water for some thawed stuff (I really need to get a heated waterer for them). Now normally, I go out and bring them treats (aka kitchen garbage) several times a day. The hens start straining their necks to see what I am bringing, and so they all stand by the door with their heads up when I come out. But today, Fluff crouched down when I reached in, which is an instinct a laying hen has to encourage a rooster to fertilize her. So she crouched down, and I thought, "Huh, that's weird,"and I went and checked the nesting box. Sure enough, right next to the wooden egg I have in there was a tiny, warm, brown egg. So perfect. I am going to fry it up for breakfast, and I cannot wait to see how dark and nutritious that yolk is. The hens have redeemed themselves--lay, hens, lay!



No comments:

Post a Comment