Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 1: Pangs of Regret and Getting Settled

As I drove down Hwy 94 with a shoebox full of chicks and a backseat full of children, I wish I could say that I felt happiness and peace, but in reality, I couldn't help but panic. What have I done? Don't I have enough going on without adding three chickens to my house? What if one of them dies? What if all of them die?? What if the neighbors get upset about them?

the box they came home in

These were not pretty thoughts. Of course, I had all these concerns earlier, but this time they became very real. I had a shoebox of chicks next to me. No turning back.

first time in the brooder and already pecking at the thermostat

I do very clearly remember having these same thoughts when we got our kitty ten years ago and also when we got home from the hospital with each child. What is unfamiliar is scary. We will get used to this new adventure!

Ruthie viewing the chicks drinking water through the window

The chicks are happy in their brooder. The kids love watching them. The soothing cheeping is nice to hear. It will be okay. It really will.



Each kid named a chick.

Oliver chose 'Bowtie' for the Australorp (black with white belly).
Clara chose 'Fluff' for the Orphington (yellow fuzzball).
Ruthie chose 'Tinny' for the Silver-Laced Wyandotte (black and white speckled).


clockwise from top left - Tinny, Bowtie, and Fluff

Oliver is very impressed with the chicks' pooping skills.


Ruthie keeps saying "chickadee chickadee"

I must say that Tinny, the Silver-laced Wyandotte, is the spunkiest one. She cheeps louder than the rest and has tried several times to fly out of the viewing window, which is covered in heavy-duty plastic to keep them in.
 
Clara getting the aerial view

The cat has not discovered them yet. I have a feeling that even when she does, she won't care. Old and lazy, that's my kitty.


the brooder

Let's talk about our brooder (the box). It is two 2' square boxes, taped together with the inside wall cut out. Really high-tech. It fits perfectly in our fireplace area in the basement, which is nice because it is hard for the kids and cat to access the top of the box, keeping our chicks safer (hopefully). I cut a small square in the side and covered it with heavy plastic, so the kids can peep in at them without leaning over the top of the box. We have paper towels down right now but will be switching to pine shavings in the next couple days. The feeder and waterer are on bricks so they don't tip over. The heating lamp is clamped and nailed to a board on the edge of the box, but I think we need to raise it up higher already. It is steady at 100ºF, but really it should be closer to 90ºF.


eating together

And so the adventure begins!

3 comments: